Monday, October 13, 2008

Stocks I would like to buy

Stocks I would like to buy when the market drops down again...

-Google
-Proctor & Gamble
-Coke
-General Electric
-Goldman Sachs
-Apple (more) [even though I think they have a real issue on their hands. A haptic response on the touch screen was definitely the logical place to go. But now that RIM has done that it will be very difficult for apple to introduce that feature in such a way that Apple doesn't look like a "me too" type thing. It has to be new better or different--perhaps haptic response on a screen that feels more substantive than the blackberry's. It will be tough.
-RIM (smart phones are a fast growing category. even if RIM loses market share it will be growing. Just want to make sure it's cheap. This may not be a long term hold.
-L'Oreal (company dominates industry. having worked there it's easy to see why)
-United Technologies

and I need to keep thinking.


These are all stocks I could see myself owning for life. Except I'm disappointed that Goldman is even accepting FED money--I thought they were better than that.

I want to buy companies with strong brands and large and clear competitive advantages.

All the companies are the best at what they do, have profitable products, secure talent pipelines, work in industries that grow at or above the rate of any given population (and there are plenty of new populations around the world), and have put relevant infrastructures (intellectual, technological, physical, etc) in place to ensure continued success in those areas. All of the companies conduct themselves as if attracting and retaining the best people possible was a core value in the company.

They are long term holds. 5-100 years.

No comments: